Monday, August 02, 2004

Carolina Boogie



One of the fringe benefits of my job is the occasional encounter with a legend. Last saturday night it was Earl Scruggs, who was playing in the museum's amphitheater. I caught him in the employee break room with the band finishing up their dinner (a telling detail--the big stars usually grub up in the Director's boardroom) and he graciously signed an old record (Live at Kansas State, Columbia, 1972) for me:



Taking in the photo of himself on the cover, Earl's son and bass player Gary was wryly amused by the hippie countenance of his youth. They were all perfect gentlemen, and although my wxdu colleague Dave T astutely reminded me that "you don't get real far in the bluegrass circuit by being an asshole", Mr. Scruggs and his ensemble each seemed to project a matchless grace.

Despite the kicking I gave myself for not trying harder to get a good portrait (even had the old Hasselblad ready with a roll of Tri-X) of Earl next to his formidable tour bus, it was a lovely show.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhhhhh, you lucky, lucky duck. I'll bet that show was joyous (and the pic of Earl is great -- he looks full of matchless grace, indeed).

Bakerina

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home